Monday 20 May 2019

The Hustle (3½ Stars)


This is a remake of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with the genders swapped. Having watched the original film less than a month ago I could see how closely it followed the old story. There was no suspense for me, I always knew what would happen next. That wasn't a problem for me. My intention in watching the film was to see a wild comedy romp starring Rebel Wilson. I wasn't disappointed. I got what I paid for, enough to satisfy my crush on Rebel Wilson.

Anne Hathaway is modelled on Michael Caine, just as Rebel Wilson is modelled on Steve Martin. Anne Hathaway is a perfect likeness of Michael Caine, smooth and refined, whereas Rebel Wilson is a caricature of Steve Martin, exaggerated and over-the-top.

The main problem for me in the gender reversal, something I saw coming from early on, was that a man would eventually win the upper hand. I regretted that. Nevertheless, it's a fun film.

P. S. Don't forget the after credits scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.