Wednesday 29 May 2019

Radio Heimat (4 Stars)


Life is hard when you're a 16-year-old virgin living in Bochum, allegedly the ugliest city in the world. But Bochum has its advantages. If you grew up in Bochum you'll appreciate other towns more. And if you grew up a virgin you'll appreciate sex more.


Who designed this city? It must have been someone with a sadistic streak.


All the boys in the school fantasise about the same girl. Guess which one it is.

"Radio Heimat" is based on the autobiography of the German author Frank Goosen. I've never read any of his books, but maybe I should. I like his attitude. He knows how to laugh at himself, which is a rare quality for a German. The film is amusing, and I laughed all the way through. The semi-documentary style is appropriate. Most of the characters turn and speak to the camera at one time or another.

Is Frank nostalgic about his teenage years? If you think that, you haven't been paying attention to the film. I'd quote his exact words, but I don't like to swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.