Monday 13 December 2021

Nosferatu (5 Stars)


When I watched "Dario Argento's Dracula" last month I said that I would watch all my versions of the Dracula story back to back next year. I've decided to start already. I shan't watch all seven of them. I'll just watch my four favourite versions in chronological order, starting today.

Friedrich Murnau's 1922 version avoids the use of the name Dracula, because he didn't have the rights to adapt the novel. He calls the vampire Count Orlok. He's also changed the names of the other main characters, but it's easy for anyone who knows the novel to recognise who's who. Nevertheless, the film was deemed to be an illegal adaptation of the film, so Bram Stoker's widow sued Murnau, and a court ordered all copies of the film to be destroyed. Luckily, film reels were later found in a warehouse in London, so this important film has survived.


The story has been simplified, omitting many details of the original novel, but one thing has been added. In the final scene Orlok (Dracula) dies because Ellen (Lucy) tempts him to stay awake until the Sun rises. This ending has been copied in many other adaptations of the novel. I have to admit that it's a better ending than the long search for Dracula as written by Bram Stoker.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.