Wednesday 8 December 2021

TV Series: Batman Season 3


Today I finished watching the third and final season of the Batman TV series, which I began in September. My only excuse for the delay is that I've been giving preference to films, so I'm far behind with the TV series that I want to watch. My son Benjamin is making an extended visit, so I've been watching it with him after finishing "Dexter". It has a completely different style, but he still likes it. He's inherited his good taste from me. While he's here we'll be watching a lot of TV series, so there will be less film reviews in my blog.


Apart from the introduction of Batgirl, the biggest news in Season 3 is the appearance of a new actress playing Catwoman. This happened at brief notice. Julie Newmar injured her back, so she couldn't appear in the episodes for which she was scheduled. Her last minute replacement was the singer Eartha Kitt. I realise that my opinion is in the minority, but she was my favourite Catwoman actress. Her sex appeal is off the charts. I was a young teenager when I saw her episodes on television, and I still remember how she made my teenage hormones tingle. I was crazy about her.

Incidentally, my former friend Mike McAuley has publicly accused me of being racist. I don't know whether he's stupid or malicious. Probably both. I like black women and white women equally.


I mean, just look at Yvonne Craig as Batgirl. Can you decide between the two of them? Her skintight costume emphasises her curves, and her provocative fists-on-hip stance makes her look even sexier.


Catwoman can pose provocatively as well. She steals a dress that's embroidered with pure gold. It's valued at a million dollars, and she's worth it.


She teams up with the Joker to wreak havoc in Gotham City. It's interesting to see that she's the senior partner in the team. In later years the Joker became Batman's #1 adversary. Until two years ago Cesar Romero was the best actor to have played the Joker. Nobody else came close. After seeing Joaquin Phoenix I can't decide. They're both very good actors, but they portray drastically different versions of the Joker. I love Cesar Romero's zany humour. Both actors portray the Joker as mad, but the madness in Joaquin Phoenix is more tragic.


They find one another irresistible.


It's a match made in Heaven.


They say that the romances that last the longest are the ones where you can make each other laugh.


But just look at that face! She'd scare me. She'd intimidate me. But I still wouldn't be able to resist her.


Towards the end of the season Batman makes repeated sexist remarks. Don't worry, they aren't meant to be taken seriously. When super-villains threaten Gotham City, Batman tells Batgirl it's too dangerous for her and she should let the men handle everything. Needless to say, Batgirl always contradicts him.

It's a shame that the series was cancelled after only three years. From what I've read, viewer figures were already sinking towards the end of the second season. Was the series too camp for 1960's audiences? Maybe. I just wish it had lasted longer. There will never be another series like it. Only "Black Scorpion" has come close.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.