Thursday 9 December 2021

The Truman Show (5 Stars)


I was shocked to hear that my son Benjamin had never watched "The Truman Show", so I couldn't push the disc into my Blu-ray player fast enough. Before it started I told him that it was the film I've watched more often than any other. I wish I knew exactly how often. In the early 2000's I didn't keep track of my viewing. That didn't change until September 2010. All I know, from my memories, is that I recorded "The Truman Show" on videotape when it was broadcast on television, and it fascinated me so much that I watched it at least twice a week for several months.

When the film started my son asked me if it was a true story. It was difficult to answer the question. It's a Yes or a No, depending on how the question is interpreted. When the film begins, Christof speaks to the camera and tells us that everything is true. Are we considering the film or the television show within the film, both of which are called "The Truman Show"? I avoided giving Benjamin an answer and told him to watch the film.


"The Truman Show" (the film) is about a man searching to find the meaning of life, or more correctly the meaning of the world in which he lives. He has the impression that the whole world revolves around him. In a certain way, everyone has the same feeling. A typical person has contact with a limited area. A child sees his house, his family, his school and his friends. As he gets older he meets more people, and he goes to work, where he meets more people. Further contacts are defined by his own interests. He might want to go to church, to a football club or anything else. Do you see what I'm getting at? He's in a restricted world. A normal person like me doesn't suddenly find himself in the White House or in Moscow's Red Square. I have a small world around me. Everything else is only seen second hand. I see far off places on the television or in films. Do they really exist? Or are they just pictures put there for my sake, to give my miniature world a context?

Of course, a person who digs too deep into these thoughts might be accused of having a psychosis. Getting back to the film, Truman Burbank (played by Jim Carrey in his first serious role), grows up accepting the world as he sees it. Then several things happen that make him suspect the world around him is fake. His father died in front of his eyes when he was a boy, but now he returns, alive and well. Truman's attempt to speak to his father is blocked by dozens of men who bundle him into a bus and drive him away. Truman sees a big conspiracy around himself. He thinks that everyone is playing a big show for his sake. As the film continues, we find that it's true. Truman Burbank is unwittingly the star of a television show called "The Truman Show". Everyone around him is in on the secret. Only Truman isn't.

"The Truman Show" is also a prison with thousands of guards. Everyone is working to keep Truman where he is and prevent him escaping. In this respect the film is terrifying.


Ed Harris plays Christof in the greatest role of his career. Christof is the creator of "The Truman Show" (the television show). Christof is all powerful. Christof is God, as far as Truman is concerned. Christof's voice booms down from the sky. Truman challenges him. He denies God's right to determine his life.

When the film was over, Benjamin said that it's one of the best films he's ever seen. I'm glad that he enjoyed it. He has good taste.

Success Rate:  + 2.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.