Tuesday 6 June 2023

VFB Stuttgart Season 2022 Relegation Playoff 2


Hamburg – VfB Stuttgart

Date: 5th June 2023, 8:45 pm

Result: 1 – 3

I didn't watch the game last night. I spent the evening watching a second rate horror film and being hugged in the street. I didn't expect VfB Stuttgart to have any trouble defeating Hamburg in the relegation playoff. I was almost correct.

In the first game, which I did see, Hamburg was outclassed. Based on the match reports, they were a different team in the second game. They burst into action and scored a goal after six minutes. Hamburg maintained the momentum and was clearly the better team for the rest of the first half.

In the second half Hamburg fell apart. Stuttgart scored a goal after three minutes. From then on it was Stuttgart's game. The final score was 3-1 for Stuttgart, giving an aggregate of 6-1. So VfB Stuttgart has saved itself from relegation. But only just.

Now I have something personal to write. One of my friends complained about my football reviews. He said they seemed off topic. That was a few months ago, and I shrugged off the criticism, but I'm starting to feel differently now. I enjoyed writing about VfB when they were doing (relatively) well, but as they fell deeper and deeper into the cellar I didn't enjoy writing about them any more. I had to force myself to write even a few words.

After the whole of the 2002 season, 36 games, I've decided to stop. No more regular match reviews. That doesn't mean I shan't watch or listen to the matches next season, but I shan't force myself to write anything. I might make occasional comments, but that's it. Maybe I'm a fake fan after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.