Monday 12 June 2023

Wine: Rolf Willy Samtrot Weißherbst Kabinett


I found this wine in a supermarket opposite my usual cinema. It doesn't usually stock Rolf Willy wines, so I was surprised to see it in a very prominent place, the opposite end of the shop to the other wines. There were only two types of Rolf Willy wine on sale. After staring at them for five minutes I picked up a bottle of each. Rolf Willy makes very good wine, though slightly more expensive than other vineyards.

There's no doubt about the quality of the Rolf Willy Samtrot Weißherbst Kabinett. A lot of work has gone into crafting it. As is typical for Weißherbst wines, it has a lower alcohol content. It has a pleasant natural sweetness that makes it easy to drink. It's not a very sweet wine like the ones made in central Germany. Under German wine laws, no sugar is allowed in Weißherbst wines. To increase the sweetness, small amounts of the grape juice made from the same grapes can be added.

It's a pleasant wine, delicious on a warm sunny day on the balcony, but it's not a wine which I would drink by itself. I might drink a glass or two after grilling meat, but it's too sweet for me by itself. I prefer dry wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.