Friday 12 November 2010

R.I.P. Dino De Laurentiis


A truly great man passed away on November 10th 2010. For more than 60 years Dino De Laurentiis produced some of the most memorable films in cinema history. Far from being a "snob" who preferred one style of film over another, his output contains both blockbusters like "Hannibal" and low budget classics like "Army of Darkness" (which was the first DVD I ever bought). Producers rarely get the same recognition as directors. Putting it simplistically, the director is the artist with his head in the clouds while the producer deals with the practical realities of film making and has both feet on the ground.

Let me name a few of his films. Films that mean something to me. Approximately in their order of importance. Please, feel free to comment and add your own personal favorites.

1. Army of Darkness (1992)
2. Barbarella (1968)
3. Silver Bullet (1985)
4. Hannibal (2001)
5. Red Dragon (2002)
6. Flash Gordon (1980)
7. The Last Legion (2007)
8. The Serpent's Egg (1977)

At first I wanted to list more films, but then I decided only to list the ones that I have in my DVD collection. Maybe I'll rewatch some of them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.