Wednesday 11 May 2016

Bad Neighbours 2 (3 Stars)


"Let's do what parents do best: stop young people from having fun".

The original title of this film is simply "Neighbors", with the typical American incorrect spelling. Outside of America it's called "Bad Neighbours 2", which doesn't just correct the bad spelling, it's also more appropriate at explaining what the film's about by adding the word "Bad".

I didn't watch the first Bad Neighbours film. I don't usually watch films that star Seth Rogen. It's not that he's a bad actor, it's just that I associate him with crude humour. I'm not a prude, I'm okay with a certain amount of crudeness, but with Seth it's like he's trying too hard. He's being crude for the sake of being crude, and it isn't funny, it's just disgusting. I decided to watch "Bad Neighbours 2" because it stars Chloe Grace Moretz, one of my favourite actresses.

Before going to the cinema today the question in my mind was whether I would miss out by not having seen the first film. I needn't have worried. The film's dialogue helped me read between the lines, and I managed to figure out what the first film had been about. That's a well written sequel!

Mac and Kelly Radner have sold their house because they're expecting a second baby. Now the house is being held in escrow for 30 days. According to the explanation in the film this means that the buyers aren't yet sure they want the house. They've signed a contract, but they have 30 days in which to decide, during which they can come back and look at the house at any time. That's not how I understand the word "escrow", and after returning home I looked up the definition of the word, and it doesn't seem to mean what the film says it does, but let's leave it there.

Mac and Kelly are happy with the arrangement, until a newly founded college sorority moves into the house next door. There are wild parties every day that go on till the middle of the night. This would scare off the buyers, so Mac goes to war with the girls, in particular with the sorority leader Shelby (Chloe Grace Moretz).


Despite the abundance of young college girls, the film is remarkably lacking in sexuality. I say that as a criticism. Nevertheless, if my car were surrounded by college girls in bikinis I would give up the fight and surrender. I have my limits.

The film was pretty much as I expected. Crude humour from Seth Rogen that disgusted me. First class acting from Chloe Grace Moretz. The overall effect is average.


Chloe should have given Seth a good beating, That would have improved the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.