Thursday 11 July 2013

Bring it on: All or Nothing (5 Stars)


Cheerleading can be war. This film is packed with much more excitement and raw action than the first two flms in the Bring It On series. Right from the opening scene I was sitting up and tapping my foot. Even the final credits were exciting.

The film stars Hayden Panettiere, the ultimate cheerleader, as Britney Allen. She's the most successful girl in Pacific Vista High School. Britney is captain of the cheerleading squad, she's dating the school quarterback, and she even manages to maintain a C average in her classes. Her world breaks apart when her father's job forces her family to relocate and she has to go to a new school, Crenshaw Heights High School, in which she's the only white girl. Immediately her status drops from the centre of attraction to total outsider. The only way she can find her way back to popularity is by pursuing her love of cheerleading.

The film uses music and dance so frequently that it seems like a string of music videos. This might not be to everyone's taste, but it's something I enjoy. Elements of cheerleading drama and romantic comedy are successfully entwined.

Even though it was never shown in cinemas, "Bring it on: All or Nothing" is an extremely successful film. Over one million copies have been sold on DVD, which is a large number for a direct-to-video film. I don't have to feel ashamed that I like it so much, I'm not alone in my opinion. I find it much more satisfying to watch than the original "Bring it on". I know I'm provoking hate mail, but it's also a lot more enjoyable than the Indiana Jones film I watched yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.