Friday 26 July 2013

The Barkleys of Broadway (3½ Stars)

This is an enjoyable film, though I wouldn't rate it as highly as "Easter Parade", which was made in the same year (1948). The film seems like it's based on the lives of the two main actors, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, but the similarity with their lives is just coincidental. Originally Judy Garland was cast for the part of the leading lady, and the script was already complete when she was replaced by Ginger Rogers at the last minute.

In the film Josh and Dinah Barkley (Fred and Ginger) are a married couple who perform in musical comedies on Broadway. They are at the peak of their career, but the stress of both working and living together has its toll. They split up. Dinah moves into serious dramatic acting while Fred continues with musical plays. Only at the end do they reunite, both as a married couple and as a stage duo.

In real life they were never married, but Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were a successful team in various films. Their names are still connected today when people talk about Hollywood musicals. Together they made nine films. Then Ginger went on to play in dramatic films while Fred continued as a dancer. But after 10 years apart they reunited for this, their tenth and last film together.

I like Fred Astaire as a dancer. I admire his grace and elegance. But I have to say that Gene Kelly is my favorite musical star. He began to make films later than Fred, and he was definitely inspired by him, but Gene has a little something extra; maybe it's charisma, maybe it's something else. Gene Kelly just makes me smile whenever I see him on screen. He reminds me of Jackie Chan in his antics. Jackie says that Buster Keaton is his main influence, but I can't help thinking that he learnt from Gene Kelly as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.