Friday 12 July 2013

Summer in Orange (5 Stars)

As I already told my readers in my last review, this is an incredible film. Critics call this film anti-Bhagwan (or anti-Osho, since he later changed his name), but I don't see it that way. It's very neutral, showing both the positive and the negative sides of the movement. At the end of the film we see that the Bavarian town Talbichl is able to learn from Bhagwan without needing to fully embrace his teachings.

In my previous remarks on Bhagwan I spoke positively about his teachings. Since then I have read more about him and must revise my opinions. One of his teachings is that Jews feel guilty because they crucified Jesus, so they are "always in search of their Adolf Hitlers, someone who can kill them". I personally find anyone who blames the Jews for the Holocaust disgusting. Bhagwan/Osho died at the age of 58, not a year too soon. Good riddance to him.

I would like to heap praises on Amber Bongard, who plays the leading role of Lili. She was only 13 at the time the film was made and delivers a stunning performance. I predict a long and successful film career for her.

IMDB lists this film as "My Life in Orange". That is a mistake. The film has never been released in English, but if it were it wouldn't be called that. "My Life in Orange" is the title of a book by Tim Guest, who was also a Bhagwan disciple, but the film has nothing to do with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.