Sunday 22 September 2019

Extra Ordinary (5 Stars)


This is the 48th film in the Stuttgart Fantasy Film Festival.

After the chaos and confusion of "It Comes", this Irish comedy was welcome to lighten the mood. I'm not certain it deserves a five star rating, but it was the right film at the right time, and I greatly enjoyed it. It has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, so others must like it as well.

Rose is a driving instructor in an idyllic little Irish town. She used to perform exorcisms, but she gave it up after her father died in a failed ritual. A man called Martin Martin (sic) is being haunted by his dead wife, who sends him messages burnt on toast and throws things at him when he looks at other women. Rose is reluctant to help him, but when she sees his daughter floating in the air she changes her mind. She thinks it's part of the haunting, but Martin Martin's daughter is being targeted by spells from an Australian pop star who wants to make a deal with the demon Asteroth to become more popular.

You see? That's easy enough to understand.


Before the film started I made a spectacle of myself by dancing in the middle of the cinema during the advert for the new 28 Black energy drink. I imitated the dance moves, but without the head spinning. It was the second time today. The first time (before "It Comes") people laughed. I thought they would join in the second time, but they just clapped in time with the music. If I'm going to dance next year, I need to start earlier in the festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.