Thursday 26 September 2019

Dark Crimes (3 Stars)


I'm a big fan of Jim Carrey. I love all of his films, especially his serious roles. That makes it all the more difficult to say that I'm disappointed with this film. I'm not disappointed with Jim Carrey. His acting is up to his usual high standards. I'm disappointed with the film itself, especially the sado-masochist scenes.

That's how the film begins. During the opening credits we see naked women being bound and tortured. I can't begin to say how distasteful that is to me. If the film hadn't starred Jim Carrey, I might have turned it off right there, within the first few minutes. But I carried on. And the violence against women continued. It's all consensual, but to me that's no excuse. As we find out, the violence happens in an exclusive club called The Cage. The members are men only, and they're allowed to mistreat the female members of staff however they wish. The women are paid to come to the club. Is that consensual or not? It's only semi-consensual. They walk into the club of their own free will. But they've been forced to make these steps by poverty. If they had enough money to feed themselves and their children they would never have gone to The Cage.

The sado-masochism even continues outside of the club. While Jim Carrey is having sex with a woman, she asks him to slap her face, which he does. Really, Jim? That's disgusting. No man should hit a woman, not even if she asks for it. He could have protested and asked for this scene to be removed from the film. That's what I would have done. Actors have a responsibility to give the right message in their films.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.