Saturday 14 September 2019

Romulus & Remus (4 Stars)


This is the 12th film in the Stuttgart fantasy Film Festival.

This is new for me. It's the first film I've ever seen in which the dialogue is in Latin. It tells the story of the brothers Romulus and Remus, and how they founded the village called Rome which would go on to become the world's largest empire.

The story doesn't match the legends that I read while I was at school. That was a long time ago. I need to read them again.

The film shows that the two brothers loved one another, but they were very different. Romulus believed in the Gods and followed the advice of their seers, whereas Remus said that he needed no God. Which one of them was right? History gives the answer.

It's a savage film with lots of gritty action and fight scenes. My only problem is that I didn't always know what was happening. When the characters are caked in mud it's difficult to tell them apart. It took me at least 15 minutes to figure out which character was Romulus and which was Remus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.