Thursday 20 January 2011

The Idol (4½ Stars)


Even after watching thousands of films in my life I'm still confronted by films that are so far from the norm that they take my breath away. This French film, made in 2002, is a remarkable example.

Zao is an old Chinese man, a retired cook, who lives in an apartment building in Paris. A young Australian actress called Sarah moves into the apartment opposite his. She suffers from depression because she is unable to get a good part, and she is having an affair with the husband of her theatre company's leading lady. When Sarah confesses to Zao that she intends to kill herself on the opening night of her theatre's next production he doesn't try to talk her out of it, he just promises to cook for her every day until her suicide. Over the following weeks a self-destructive romance develops between the two.

People who have read my old reviews already know that Leelee Sobieski, 19 at the time the film was made, is my favorite actress. Her performance that alternates between wild abandon and cold depression is astounding. 73-year-old James Hong, who I'd never noticed before this film, gives a calm, subdued performance. A great film, but best if you understand some French, as the English subtitles aren't always accurate. For instance, "He cooks for me" isn't the best translation for "Il me fait manger".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.