Thursday 31 May 2012

Batman Begins (4 Stars)


I saw this film in the cinema when it was released in 2005. At the time I was disappointed. In a way I still am. The problem isn't that it isn't a good film. It's an excellent film that tells the story of one man's journey to overcome the fear and guilt that has tortured him all his life. My problem with the film is simply: it's not Batman. This isn't Batman in any of his incarnations; the dark detective of the 1940's and 1950's, the camp superhero of the 1960's and early 1970's, or the brooding crime fighter of the late 1970's till today. If anything, I'd say that the character we see in the film is really Daredevil in a different costume.

Watching it again today, for the first time since 2005, I tried to clear my mind. Instead of looking at it as a copy of the comic books I tried to accept it as a film in its own right. Yes, looking at it that way it succeeds. This is a new Batman, but he's a Batman we can respect in his own right. It's amazing how similar Christian Bale looks to Michael Keaton when wearing the Batman mask, they look nothing like one another otherwise.

On second viewing I enjoyed the film a lot more. It seems like a film I should watch a third time to get to know it better. I'll review the plot then.

Click here to view the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.