Sunday 28 June 2020

Blue Story (4 Stars)


This is the second film I've gone to see in the cinema since the German lockdown restrictions were loosened on June 4th. That's when cinemas in Stuttgart were allowed to open again, although not all have done so. The cinemas Gloria, EM and Cinema are still closed, but Metropol has been open for three weeks. That's where I went today.

"Blue Story" is a film that became controversial because it sparked riots in Birmingham's cinemas when it was shown in November. That's ridiculous. The film is about street gangs, but it criticises gang culture, so why should it inspire young gang members to violence? There was nothing of it in Germany today. The film is only being shown for two days, but it was hardly noticed, because everyone is going to see Daniel Radcliffe's new film, "Guns Akimbo". Apart from me, there were only two other people watching "Blue Story" tonight. To be honest, I don't even understand why it was shown, because it's irrelevant to German audiences. I especially don't understand why it's being shown in English without subtitles, because the London accents must be unintelligible to Germans.

I enjoyed the film greatly, even if it shows a side of English culture that makes me ashamed of my country. It shows two teenagers who are united by friendship but divided by gangs. When Timmy was 11 his mother insisted on him going to a senior school in Peckham, rather than in Deptford where he lived. At the age of 16 his best friend is Marco, who lives in Peckham. Fights break out between the gangs in the neighbouring areas, the Peckham Boys and the Ghetto Boys. Youngsters are expected to be loyal to the gang where they live, but Timmy is torn between his friends and his neighbours. Timmy's girlfriend is also from Peckham. The first half of the film ends with an ambush in which Timmy's girlfriend is killed.

The second half takes place three years later. Timmy wants revenge on Marco, who he blames for his girlfriend's death. The fighting escalates.

I don't want to give away spoilers, but I'll say one thing: there's no happy ending. The next generation of teenagers continue on the path of violence of the gang members before them. It's a never ending cycle of retaliation, each gang thinking that it's justified.

It's a powerful film, maybe spoilt by the presence of too many characters. What I mean is, the main characters are easy to distinguish, but when supporting characters appear I have to ask myself which side they're on, and it's not clear until I see them talking to a main character. This is something that I'll understand better when I see the film a second time.

It's a musical, but only just. There are a few scenes scattered through the film where characters break into song spontaneously. At other times the background music gives a commentary on what's happening. Some people might not like the singing, but I would have liked more singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.