Monday 14 September 2020

General: Happy 10th Birthday


Today's a big day. I thought it would never come. It's the 10th anniversary of my blog. When I wrote my first post at 6:32 am on 14th September 2010 – I'd been awake all night – I didn't expect to keep it up for so long. I don't remember what I thought at the time, but I kept up my blogging. For the last 10 years I've documented every single film I've watched, whether it was at home, in the cinema or at a friend's house. I'm glad about that. Even if I had no readers at all, the blog would be useful as a record for myself.

The biggest change to my blog was in January 2018, when I began to write mini-reviews of Marvel comics. I did this at the urging of my good friend Cath West, initially intending to write the comic reviews for 12 months, covering the years 1961 to 1972, but now I've decided to extend my reviews to 1991, which will take me another four years at my current speed.

I don't earn money from my blog. When I began, I signed up for Google AdSense, which would have earned me a bit of money through automatically placed advertisements. That only lasted a few weeks. I noticed that some ads were being placed in the middle of my longer posts. That was awful. Even worse, I checked out my blog on my daughter's laptop, and I was shocked to see how much difference the ads made to the loading time on a slow computer. If anyone really wants to support me, buy your next items from Amazon using my links in the sidebar. I earn about 6% of the purchase price, which is a lot if you often buy at Amazon.

So far I've written 4055 posts. This is my 4056th post. In the 10 years that I've been writing, other bloggers have come and gone, but I'm still here.

If you're not a regular reader of my blog, today's the day to start! Come and see what all the fuss is about. Tell me what you like and don't like about it. I have some new ideas for the future, so keep checking back to see what I'm doing.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!
    It's a hell of an accomplishment - something i truly doubt i'll manage. And you actually managed to be enjoyable and informative along the way.

    Bravissimo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the praise. As for "enjoyable and informative", I'm well aware that the quality of my posts has varied greatly over the years. Let's see if I manage another 10 years. If I live that long, I'll keep blogging.

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.