Saturday 24 December 2022

Love and Peace (5 Stars)


This is my Christmas film for 2022. It's unique in two ways. First, it's the only Christmas film that has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Second, it's the only film with a 100% rating that I also like. As I repeatedly tell my readers, I usually disagree with the critics. Not this time.

The film has messages, some of which are more obvious than others. It talks of the fickleness of those who receive Christmas gifts. Dogs given on Christmas day are abandoned. That's terrible. But the film also suggests that toys have feelings. Little Maria (shown above in Santa's loving arms) was a Christmas gift that was only kept for a few days. Yuri played with her, then threw her away when she decided Maria wasn't pretty enough. Do dolls really have to be beautiful? My granddaughter Evelyn has a doll called Mia that she carries around with her everywhere. In my opinion, Mia is ugly, i.e. she's not very lifelike, but does Evelyn care? The doll is special to her, hopefully for years to come.


"Love and Peace" also shows that it's possible to want too much and forget what's in front of you. Ryoichi wants to become a big rock star, but as his fame grows he forgets the girl called Yuko who idolises him. She's another doll that's not pretty enough to be played with.


All you need to be happy is a turtle and a woman who loves you. That's what the film says, but I personally don't need a turtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.