Thursday 22 December 2022

Morbius (4½ Stars)


Today is only the second time I've watched "Morbius", but it's growing on me already. The biggest hindrance in me giving the film a full five star rating is that Michael Morbius is a very unsexy vampire. It's an accurate depiction, because he's always been unsexy in the comics.


My fascination with vampires began when I saw the film "Vamp" while on holiday in the mid-1980's. I was fascinated to see Grace Jones as a vampire. At that time in my life I considered her the ultimate in sex appeal. I didn't see "Vamp" again for more than 20 years, but I watched many other vampire films, and the sexiest vampires were in the films of Jean Rollin. Despite being 100% heterosexual, I could recognise the appeal of Christopher Lee as a vampire. Even Bela Lugosi had a certain sex appeal, in a creepy way. I found David Boreanaz annoying because of his eternally miserable face, but James Marsters was a slick, sexy vampire. And Drusilla! Yes, Drusilla was my dream woman. I'd moved on from Grace Jones.

I had a phase in the early 2000's when I would buy any vampire film on DVD without knowing anything about the film. Some of the films were good, others were a waste of money. I'm more selective nowadays.

Morbius isn't a sexy vampire, not in the least. He's a horrific character. That's the way Jared Leto was paid to portray him, and he did a good job. Morbius is also a tragic figure. He doesn't want to kill anyone, but when he's overcome by bloodlust he can't help himself.

I'm curious to see how Morbius will develop in future films, if any are made. Jared Leto has repeatedly expressed interest in making more films, possibly as a villain facing Spider-Man, but there are no signs that the films will be made. "Morbius" the film was only a minor box office success, but the critics tore it apart. A film needs to be a huge success for the studios to ignore the critics.

Success Rate:  + 0.2

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.