Sunday 18 December 2022

Strange World (3 Stars)


This is an animated film made by Walt Disney Studios. While the rest of the world was watching the final of the World Cup, I was sitting in the cinema with my grandson Oliver. I've been told that while I was in England he went to see two films with his grandmother, "Puss In Boots: The Last Wish" and "Der Räuber Hotzenplotz". He told me with great amusement that she fell asleep during "Puss in Boots", so he had to wake her.

When we left Oliver told me that he'd enjoyed the film, but I have to ask myself whether he really understood what was happening. "Strange World" has an age certificate of 6, which is Oliver's age. As far as the violence goes, it's suitable for children of that age, but I had to ask myself whether he was old enough to understand what was happening. I would have said that the film is more on the intellectual level of a nine-year-old. I think Oliver just enjoyed the bright pictures and the chaotic fight sequences, but I chose not to question him any further. Back at home his mother asked him what the film was about, and he hardly said anything.

So what's it about?

The film takes place in Avalonia, a small country separated from the world. An adventurer called Jaeger Clade has made it his life's goal to find out what's on the other side of the mountains that surround Avalonia. He starts an expedition which includes his 15-year-old son Searcher.

On the journey they find an unusual plant that gives off energy. Searcher says that it's an important discovery, and they should take it back to examine it. Jaeger says it's irrelevant, and they should continue with the expedition. The other members of the expedition agree with Searcher and turn back. Jaeger carries on by himself.

Back in Avalonia, the plant, which they call Pando, is found to be an inexhaustible energy source. It creates great prosperity and technological advances. Searcher becomes a farmer, harvesting Pando. But what about his father Jaeger? He doesn't come back, so he's presumed dead. Searcher marries and has a son, Ethan.

25 years later Searcher is told that the Pando plants outside of Avalonia, on the inner sides of the mountains, are beginning to die, the victims of an unknown disease. If the disease spreads into Avalonia, society will be destroyed. Ethan leaves on an expedition to find the cause for the disease. On the way they find Jaeger, now 60 years old, still trying to cross the mountains. Ethan has a flying ship, powered by Pando, so Jaeger persuades him to pool their resources.

Apart from the mission itself, it's a family drama. Jaeger is disappointed with his son, because Searcher's become a farmer instead of an adventurer. Searcher is disappointed with his son, because Ethan thinks farming is boring and wants to become an adventurer like his grandfather. Ironically, Jaeger and Searcher have become the same while considering themselves different.

Did Oliver understand all that? I don't know. What I do know is that he was fascinated by all the brightly coloured flying monsters.

I can only give the film an average rating. I like the story, as described above, but the action is too chaotic. I disliked the very part of the film that Oliver liked the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.