Wednesday 7 December 2022

The Guard (4½ Stars)



While clicking around Netflix I found this film which I already have on Blu-ray at home. It's worth watching again, so why not today?

It's the meeting of two worlds. A hard-nosed FBI agent is sent from America to Galway, a sleepy little town on the Irish coast, to wait for an illegal drugs shipment to arrive from America. It's $500,000 of cocaine. He has to team up with an Irish police sergeant who enjoys working in a quiet town and wants it to stay quiet.

There's only one good thing about racism: it's good to laugh at. When shown photos of the alleged drug dealers, all white, Sergeant Boyle exclaims, "I thought all drug dealers are black". When this statement is questioned, he adds "Or Mexicans". In a later scene he justifies being racist by saying that racism is part of the Irish culture. Yes, racists are stupid, and it's fun to laugh at them, whether it's in a film or in real life.


Yesterday I watched the first episode of "Wednesday" out of curiosity. It's good to see a new series created by Al Gough and Miles Millar. It's more than 20 years since they started "Smallville", but they still have creative talent. In addition, Tim Burton has directed four of the episodes. I wanted to write something about the first episode yesterday, but I didn't have time. My granddaughter Rose was sick, so I had to step in as babysitter for eight hours. I'll put off writing about "Wednesday" until I've caught up with my "Smallville" posts. When I return to Germany I'll be five weeks behind, and I want to catch up as quickly as possible. My posts about "Wednesday" will probably concentrate on presenting screenshots rather than writing full reviews. Probably. I'll make my mind up when I get to it. If I don't start writing about "Wednesday" by the end of the year, feel free to write an offensive comment to remind me of my promise.

Success Rate:  + 1.5

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.