Thursday 22 December 2011

How the Grinch stole Christmas (4 Stars)


I must be getting sentimental in my old age. That's two Christmas films I've watched in one week. Or three, if I include "The Long Kiss Goodnight", which takes place at Christmas though it isn't really a Christmas film.

It's based on a children's book by Dr. Seuss, but something about it just seems too adult. Or maybe I'm underestimating children. The Grinch is an outcast who lives in a mountain overlooking the happy town of Whoville. This Christmas is the one thousandth anniversary of the town, and Cindy Lou, the postman's daughter, suggests that the Grinch be invited to the Christmas celebrations. But the Grinch hates Christmas, which is a recipe for disaster.

Jim Carrey gives a perfect performance, as we would expect from him. He's a true professional and brings 100% to whatever role he plays. However, Taylor Momsen steals the show as the sweet little Cindy Lou. She's the best child actress I've ever seen. The film was made 11 years ago when she was 7, so I ought to check out some of her more recent films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.