Monday 19 December 2011

Popeye (4 Stars)


Was this film really released so long ago? 1980? I only found out about it recently. According to IMDB this was the first film in which Robin Williams starred, and he was given the title role. Interesting. He'd played a few minor roles on television before this, but it still seems like he was thrown in at the deep end. I wonder if there's a background story to his being chosen for this role. Whatever it is, he does well in it, showing the talent which would make him famous in years to come. As does Shelley Duvall, who is so perfect as Olive Oyl that I couldn't imagine any other actress playing the role.

As someone who has known and loved the television cartoons for years, my only problem is that the film is a full length feature. I would have preferred it to be a sequence of short films, no more than 10 minutes each.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found it and didn't hate it. And I completely agree about Shelley Duvall, great Olive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the way Shelley kept saying "Oh! Oh! Oh!" It never got boring. And ahem, you might have signed your comment as Anonymous, but I still know who you are, Sailor Girl.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.