Thursday 22 November 2018

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them (3 Stars)


I avoided this film when it was shown in the cinemas two years ago. My friends in England warned me against, telling me things like "It's not as good as Harry Potter". Today I spontaneously decided to watch it at last after it popped up as a Netflix recommendation.

I can see what my friends mean. What stood out in the Harry Potter films – I never read the books – was the complexity of the plot. So many interesting stories were interwoven into one another. In fact, I found the films too complex for younger children, but a friend of mine with a young daughter contradicted me. Her daughter was nine when the first film was released, and she sat on the edge of her seat throughout the film. Needless to say, she returned to watch all of the sequels.

I wonder if young children were just as enthralled by "Fantastic beasts and where to find them". If anything, I'd say that it's more suitable for children. More childish.

The film takes place in 1926. Newt Scamander is a young English wizard who travels to New York with a suitcase full of mystical animals. He's a conservationist. The possession of these animals has been outlawed in America because they're too uncontrollable. If they escape the possibility is too big that they'll be seen by non-magical people. It's a strict law everywhere that magicians should remain hidden from the normal population.

Newt's main reason for his visit to America is to release a large animal, a Thunderbird, into its natural habitat in Arizona. This is complicated when three of his animals escape from the suitcase in New York shortly after his arrival. It's a difficult time. There are rallies of an organisation called the Second Salemers, who preach the evil of witchcraft and want to kill all wizards and witches.

While in New York Newt is given board by two sisters, an ex-hunter of dark wizards and a mind-reader. Another important character is Jacob Kowalski, an aspiring baker who has no magical abilities.

The film was successful, with a success rate of +2.5, which is quite respectable, though not as high as the Harry Potter films, which scored between +4 and +8. Its success is probably due to the popularity of the Harry Potter films. The real test will be the success of the sequel, which is in the cinemas now.

Success Rate:  + 2.5

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.