Wednesday 14 November 2018

Spider-Man (5 Stars)


After hearing of Stan Lee's death two days ago I've decided to rewatch some of the Marvel films. Actually, it will be most of the Marvel films. I'll be watching all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) films, and in addition I'll watch the non-MCU films of the characters that Stan Lee created. The X-Men films are a borderline case, so I'm not yet sure whether I'll include them.

I'll point out Stan Lee's cameos when I watch the films. His appearance in "Spider-Man" is his briefest cameo, less than two seconds in length. If you blink you'll miss him. He's a man in the crowd who protects a small girl from falling debris when the Green Goblin attacks.

I've always considered "Spider-Man" to be the best Marvel film. Some people prefer the first X-Men film, while others say that "Spider-Man 2" is better. They're both very good films, but I'm sticking with my choice. The strength of the first Spider-Man film is how closely it adheres to the original comics written by Stan Lee in 1962. There are a few minor differences:

1. The story has been moved from the 1960's to the 2000's.
2. Peter Parker is older when he becomes Spider-Man, 17/18 instead of 14/15.
3. Spider-Man's web is organic, not mechanical.

Despite these differences the film keeps closely to the original stories, and it definitely remains in the spirit of the early comics.

Another difference is something that is essential when making films that are based on comics. It's something that I call telescoping. What I mean is, events that take place years apart in the comics all take place within two hours, or however long the film lasts. To list several events in this film:

1. Peter Parker became Spider-Man in Amazing Fantasy #15 (August 1962).
2. The Green Goblin first appeared in Spider-Man #14 (July 1964).
3. The Green Goblin died in Spider-Man #122 (July 1973).

All of these events are telescoped into a short narrative. If the film had included everything that happens in the comics from 1962 to 1973, even omitting the non-relevant events, it would have lasted 12 or more hours.


Apart from being the best Marvel film, "Spider-Man" is one of my all-time favourite films. I just checked the list of my top 50 films that I compiled in January this year, and it's in eighth place. After watching it today my first thought was that I should put it in first place, but it's possible that I'm just being sentimental after Stan Lee's death. Now is the wrong time to rewrite my list. I have to wait until I'm feeling less emotional.


Some of the casting decisions in the film are nothing less than miraculous. Tobey Maguire is the best Peter Parker so far. His appearance is a perfect match. But just look at J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. It's like he was born to play the role.


Kirsten Dunst is the last actress I would have thought of to play Mary Jane Watson – she's not even a redhead – but after applying a packet of hair dye she doesn't just act the role, she becomes Mary Jane Watson. I'd call this the best role of her life.


Sam Raimi was correct in calling up his old friend from high school, Bruce Campbell, to play the ring announcer in the wrestling scene. He's always been an actor who's difficult to place in any category. He's not an A-List actor because most film fans have never heard of him, and yet those who do know him are passionate in their support of him. Any film that stars Bruce Campbell in even a small role is worth watching. Who says so? I do!


Even Octavia Spencer appears briefly as a check-in girl at the wrestling event. Any film that stars Octavia is also worth watching. "Spider-Man" has so many positive points on its side. Maybe I ought to name it my favourite film. Ask me again this time next month.

Whatever the differences were, Sam Raimi shouldn't have been abandoned after "Spider-Man 3". He's not just a brilliant director, he also has a deep respect for the source material in the comics. He could have been the director for some or all of the MCU films. It's still not too late to ring him up and offer him a job.

Success Rate:  + 3.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.