Friday, 21 August 2026

Scream 6 (4½ Stars)


How long has it been since we last saw Hayden Panettiere as Kirby Reed in "Scream 4"? 12 years. That's long enough for her to leave high school and become an FBI agent. Girls sure grow up fast these days.

"Scream 6" is a definite improvement on the previous two films. It doesn't attempt to reinvent the series. We still have Ghostface, a group of possible victims and suspects, horror film rules, red herrings and the inevitable revelation at the end. That's exactly what I want from a Scream film. The formula works, and this time there's even a new twist: there isn't just one Ghostface, or even two. There are three.

The biggest change is the move from Woodsboro to New York. It's a refreshing change of scenery without changing the nature of the film. Ghostface is just as dangerous in crowded streets, apartment buildings and subway trains as he was in the quiet streets of Woodsboro. The New York setting gives the familiar formula new possibilities, and the subway sequence is particularly effective.

I had problems following the characters in "Scream 5". There were simply too many of them, and when somebody reappeared after 20 minutes I often had to ask myself who she was. I had no such problem with "Scream 6". The returning characters are now firmly established, while the newcomers are introduced clearly enough that I always knew who was who. It makes the film much easier to follow and, more importantly, easier to enjoy.

The biggest absence is Sidney Prescott. In the first four films she was at the centre of everything, the person the killer ultimately wanted to reach. Her role was already reduced in "Scream 5", where she seemed almost incidental to the main story. Now she's disappeared altogether. I have mixed feelings about this. I miss Sidney, because for so long she was Scream, but "Scream 6" proves that the series can continue without her.


This is still unmistakably Scream. It respects the established formula while finding enough new ideas to keep it fresh. After my disappointment with the last two films, it's good to see Ghostface back on form. And it's always good to see Hayden Panettiere.

Success Rate:  + 3.1

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.