Mae West plays Ruby Carter, a singer in St Louis in 1892. After becoming
involved with prizefighter Tiger Kid, she's persuaded to leave town and moves
to New Orleans, where she becomes the star attraction at the Sensation House.
Naturally, it isn't long before Tiger Kid follows her.
Mae West is the reason to watch the film. She's completely in command whenever
she's on screen, delivering her notorious one-liners with the confidence and
suggestiveness that made her unique. Even though the lines aren't particularly
outrageous by today's standards, the way she says them makes you understand
why she was considered so scandalous in the 1930s.
I have mixed feelings about "Belle of the Nineties". It's a good film. I can't
point to anything that's badly done, and Mae West is as entertaining as ever.
The problem is simply that the story doesn't appeal to me. Boxing plays a
large part in the film, particularly as it approaches its climax, and boxing
isn't something that interests me.
Sometimes there's a difference between recognising that a film is good and
actually liking it. "Belle of the Nineties" is a perfect example. I can
appreciate its quality, and I certainly enjoyed Mae West, but it's not a film
that makes me want to watch it again.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.