Sunday 6 January 2019

Little Nicky (5 Stars)


I wasn't always the big film fan that I am now. There was a time in my life when I rarely went to the cinema, at most three or four times a year. That didn't change until 2013 when I joined the Birmingham Film Group. I can hardly believe it was so recent! Only five years ago! Now I go to the cinema twice a week, on average.

When I rarely visited the cinema the films that I saw had a big effect on me. I treasured them more. The films that I saw on the big screen became my favourite movies. That's not just because they were good films. It's because they were somehow imprinted on me.

"Little Nicky" is a film that I saw in the cinema when it was released in 2000. It immediately became one of my favourite films. It's a film I can never forget. I have to admit that the story is ridiculous, even for a comedy, but I can't help liking it. Would I like it so much if I'd been watching two films a week in 2000? I don't know. I'll never know.


The story starts with the Devil, played by Harvey Keitel. He's the coolest Devil I've ever seen. He has three sons, and one of them has to take his place as the new ruler of Hell for the next 10,000 years. They each have different qualities.


Adrian is the oldest. He's smart and ruthless.


Next comes Cassius, who's strong and tough.


The youngest is Nicky, who's a sweet little boy.

The choice is too tough to make, so the Devil decides to remain ruler himself. Adrian and Cassius are angry about this this, so they travel to the surface of the Earth – New York, of course! – to create a new Kingdom of Hell on Earth. This is against the Devil's will, so he sends Nicky to stop them.


This is why Nicky is so sweet. His mother is an angel.


On Earth Nicky is confronted by a blind preacher played by Quentin Tarantino.


Nicky is assisted by a demon dog called Mr. Beefy.


"You like acting, I like pissing".


Mr. Beefy is such a cool dog who spends his time visiting strip clubs when he's not helping Nicky save the Earth. I could post dozens of screenshots of him. Maybe that's what I'll do next time I watch the film.

It's difficult to understand why the film isn't more popular. Everyone I've spoken to who's seen the film loves it, but there aren't many. Hardly anyone has seen the film. It needs a flashy Blu-ray release and a big promotion campaign to get people to buy it.

Success Rate:  - 1.5

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.