Wednesday 30 January 2019

Thor: Ragnarok (4 Stars)


This is the 17th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, released in November 2017.

Those familiar with Norse legends will recognise that the Ragnarok shown in this film is a mini-Ragnarok. In the film it has to do with the destruction of Asgard. In the Norse legends Midgard (the name for our planet Earth) is also destroyed.

The film combines two stories. The first story is about Hela, Thor's older sister, attempting to conquer Asgard after Odin's death. The second story is about the Hulk fighting in an arena on a distant planet. The stories could have been told in two separate films, but I think Marvel Studios was too afraid that a Hulk solo film would fail at the box office. As it is, the stories blend well into one another.

Stan Lee appears as a barber on the planet where the Hulk lives. He's responsible for cutting Thor's hair short, so he can comfortably wear a helmet in the arena. Poor Thor. When I was 23 I let my hair be cut short because it's what my fiancée Elke wanted. When I got home and looked at myself in the mirror I cried. Needless to say, I never married Elke. Any woman who tries to change a man before they're even married doesn't deserve to have him. The reverse is also the case. If I fell in love with a woman with certain characteristics, inside or outside, why would I want to change her?


This is Thor with his beautiful long hair.


This is Thor with his short hair. His face alone says that he's not happy.

Most men lose their hair as they get older, so they're forced to cut their hair short. That's different. By the time I was 40 I had a large bald patch, but I could still have worn my hair long into my mid thirties. I should have done so, but after splitting up with Elke it was difficult for me to grow it long again. There was a mental block which I should have tried to overcome.

Thor has no respect for the man who forcibly cut his hair. When asked by Bruce Banner what had happened to his hair he replies "Some creepy old man cut it off". That man might have been the great Stan Lee, but Thor's attitude is understandable. I could never respect any man who cut off my long hair.


Loki is allowed to keep his long hair. As the God of Trickery and Mischief he must have found a way to keep Stan Lee's hands off him.


Doctor Strange has never had long hair. He should try it some time.


Cate Blanchett plays the role of Hela. I've always liked her as an actress, but I considered her appearance plain. But what's happened to her now? She's 47 years old, and this is the sexiest she's ever looked.


Maybe it's just me. I like women to look dark and evil. If makeup and hair dye can achieve this look, all women should do it. It would make the world a much more beautiful place.


I'm not so enthusiastic about her headgear that out-maleficents Maleficient, but her skin-tight outfit is incredibly sexy, and the double swords round off her look.


Hela deserves to wear the Infinity Gauntlet. It's a shame it's a fake.


Hela's face is beautiful when she smiles...


but she's even more beautiful when she scowls...


and best of all is her mean, mocking laugh.

"Thor: Ragnarok" uses the incredible "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin. It's played twice, at the beginning and during the final credits. This is a much better song than "Brandy" in "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2". There were a few super-groups at the beginning of the 1970's. Rock music was made with a fever that was previously unknown. Many consider Led Zeppelin to have been the best of these groups.



Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land
To fight the hordes and sing and cry
"Valhalla, I am coming".

Always sweep with threshing oar,
Our only goal will be the western shore.

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow.
How soft your fields so green. Can whisper tales of gore,
Of how we calmed the tides of war.
We are your overlords.

Always sweep with threshing oar,
Our only goal will be the western shore.

So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

Success Rate:  + 2.7

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.