Sunday 6 October 2019

The Machinist (3 Stars)


This is a film that I've avoided for years because I found the photos of lead actor Christian Bale in his emaciated state distasteful. Today I finally took the plunge.

Trevor Reznik is a machine worker in a factory. I'm not familiar with the word machinist. I don't know whether it's an Americanism or a technical expression that I've never encountered. He's suffering from extreme insomnia and looks so bad that his work colleagues are disgusted by him. His only friend is a prostitute whose company he buys. I mean the word company. He doesn't just want sex with her, he also pays her for the time they spend talking.

Trevor is harassed by a man called Ivan, at work and elsewhere. Nobody else can see Ivan, and they tell Trevor he doesn't exist. Is he imagining it? Or is it part of a conspiracy against him.


Christian Bale reduced his weight from 82 Kg (180 pounds) to 54 Kg (119 pounds) for the role. He did this by a daily diet of water, an apple and a cup of coffee, with an occasional glass of whiskey. That's crazy. He could have killed himself. Is it worth risking your life for a film?

"The Machinist" is a disturbing film, and not just because of Christian Bale's appearance. The director succeeds in drawing us into the mind of a sick, paranoid man. Some might praise this effort, but for me it's not something I can enjoy. I find it impossible to relate to the main character, despite Christian Bale's superb acting. The general public shares my opinion, making the film a box office failure.

Success Rate:  - 0.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.