Sunday 3 December 2023

Le Rêveur Egaré (4 Stars)


I don't know why I watched this film today. I rarely watch a film at random, and I don't think I've ever watched a documentary twice. I wanted to watch a horror film with my son Benjamin, but he was tired and needed an afternoon nap, so I looked for a replacement. "Le Rêveur Egaré" is the first film that fell into my hands.

I said most of what you need to know in my first review. I'll just add a few things here. In interviews contained as extra features on his films he was often arrogant. He said, for example, "In the 1970's the critics didn't respect me, but now I'm recognised as France's greatest director". In the interviews used in the documentary he's more modest. I consider him my favourite French director, and so do many other horror fans, but I'm in the minority. The documentary points out that he's more popular in English speaking countries than in France itself.

It's said more than once that Jean Rollin didn't make films for the audiences, he made films for himself. He never strived for box office success. That's a very honest way to make films. As a low budget film maker he didn't have big studios breathing down his neck, telling him what to do.


Now he's dead. He passed away shortly after the documentary was made. His coffin is floating away into the Atlantic Ocean. Figuratively speaking. He's sadly missed by everyone who loves vampire films.

Another documentary was made in 2022. I'm trying to get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.