Sunday 24 December 2023

Night Train (5 Stars)


Is my memory deteriorating as I get older? I told my son that we need to watch "Night Train", because I watch it at Christmas every year. It's a perfect film for Christmas, because it starts on 24th December and ends shortly after midnight. Then I checked my blog, and I saw that although I've watched it nine times, I've only watched it at Christmas once, in 2021. Never mind, it's a film in my top 100 films list, currently in 39th place. I say "currently", because my list isn't fixed. I keep changing my mind and making adjustments, mostly at the bottom of the list. The last time I changed my top 10 was a few years ago, but anything is possible. I actually have a top 200 list on my computer, but the places 101 to 200 aren't ordered. They're just 100 films that I think ought to be in my top 100, but they don't fit.

An unnamed passenger brings a present that will change everyone's lives. If you can call it a present. The other passengers rip it from his hands when he dies. They all want it, and they're willing to kill to get it.

The film is tarnished by some blunders. which become more apparent every time I watch it. The two Japanese businessmen are playing Go, and when the camera changes angles the pieces are arranged differently. A woman is shot in the head, and a few seconds later the wound is missing. I don't know how the director could possibly have missed things like that. He must have noticed it when he watched the completed film in post production.

Nevertheless, it's still a brilliant film. It deserves its place in my top 100.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.