Tuesday 5 December 2023

Name of the Rose (4 Stars)


This is the last film in the "Best of Cinema" series for this year. The 12 films for next year still haven't been announced.

This afternoon I mentioned to a relative that I was going to the cinema, and she asked me what I was going to see.

"Name of the Rose", I replied.

    "That's a good film. Haven't you already seen it?"

"Yes. I have it on Blu-ray".

    "Then why are you going to see it in the cinema?"

At this point I threw up my hands in the air in frustration. What a silly question! There's a world of difference between watching a film at home and in the cinema. Maybe, just maybe, I'd accept the question if I had a home cinema with an enormous screen, 90 inches or more. My television is a mere 48 inches. But even then, it's a different experience sitting with other cinema fans in a dark theatre watching a film. I picked up some things that I'd never noticed at home. Some of the people in the audience laughed at times. I'd never noticed the humour, but they were right.

Added to this, "Name of the Rose" has recently been remastered in 4K, so the picture isn't identical with what I have at home on Blu-ray. That's one of the conditions of the "Best of Cinema" series: all the films have been remastered in 4K. The picture was splendid, from the opening minutes when Sean Connery and Christian Slater approach the abbey in the hills.

I go to see all of the "Best of Cinema" films, as long as I'm not kept away by sickness or family commitments.

And I'll continue going to the cinema on a regular basis as long as I'm able to walk.

Success Rate:  + 2.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.