Saturday 30 December 2023

General: Top Films of 2023


As I've done each year since 2015, I'm publishing a list of my top 10 films of the year. To qualify for inclusion in the list I must have seen the film in the cinema during the year. This year I watched 110 films in the cinema. This is the second year in a row that no Marvel films have been included in my list. As a devoted Marvel fan, it makes me sad that the films aren't as good as they used to be.

1. Pearl

This is a prequel to "X". It's so good that I had to watch it twice in the cinema.


An incredible monster movie. Give up, America! Japan makes the best Godzilla films.

3. Barbie

Maybe "Barbie" should be in second place. I sat for ages trying to decide if I like it more than "Godzilla Minus One". It's impossible to compare two such different films.


Many people consider "Banshees of Inisherin" to be a 2022 film, but it wasn't released in Germany until January 2023.

5. Sisu

I don't watch many Finnish films, but the ones I watch are very good.


This is a Netflix film that hasn't been shown in cinemas, but it premiered at this year's Fantasy Film Festival, so it qualifies to be included. Only just.

7. Sakra

A historical Chinese film starring Donnie Yen. His films are always good.

8. Seneca

A minimalist film about the last days of the Roman philosopher Lucius Seneca. It's another film that I saw twice in the cinema.


A quirky film based on a true story. A young woman become obsessed with finding the grave of King Richard III.


"Halloween Park" is the international title of the Swedish film "Karusell". It's a slasher film, and I know that slasher films have been overdone for years, but don't groan at its inclusion in my list. It's proof that any film can be good if it has a well written story.



As always, the list is very subjective. They're the films that I personally like. Please post comments, letting me know any films I've omitted in your opinion. I'd love to see the personal top 10 lists of any of my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.