Saturday 22 April 2023

Sisu (5 Stars)


This is the eleventh film in the Stuttgart Nights Festival.

Usually I don't watch film trailers, unless they're shown in the cinema before another movie. For some reason I made an exception with "Sisu" and watched the trailer at home. I have no idea why. All I can say is that it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film. And I was really hyped to see it. I expected something spectacular, and I wasn't disappointed.

It's about a gold miner in Lapland in 1944. There are still Germans in Finland, but they're on the retreat. He makes a large strike, and he wants to carry the gold by horse to the nearest bank, 560 miles away. The trouble is that he has to pass Nazi patrols on the way. When they discover the gold they want to kill him, but he resists. It turns into a battle between one Finnish man and all the Germans in Finland.

The action is exaggerated and over-the-top. Things happen that just can't be believed. Does it matter? No, the film is perfect as it is. There was a mixture of laughter and cheers every time a Nazi was killed in a ridiculous manner. Judging by the audience reaction, it was the most popular film of the festival so far. When the film ended, the audience broke out into loud applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.