Sunday 23 April 2023

Skinamarink (1 Star)


This is the 14th film in the Stuttgart Nights Festival.

I've never walked out of a film in the cinema. Today is the closest I've come. Other people in the audience left the room in the first hour, but most remained in their seats. Maybe they were too polite to walk out. Maybe they'd fallen asleep. Or maybe they were like me, waiting for a redeeming feature. There wasn't one. The film was simply awful, the worst film I've ever seen.

How can I begin to describe "Skinamarink"? For two hours there are random images of a house, either the floor or the ceiling. A four-year-old boy called Kevin is walking from room to room calling his older sister Kaylee, but we never see Kevin's whole body, just his legs. There are Legos scattered on the floor. The television is showing cartoons. Some of the cartoons are stuck in two-second loops.

The audience sat in silence throughout the movie. After 90 minutes the words "572 Days" flashed onto the screen. That was so sudden and so random that people started laughing. So did I.

I don't think this was meant as a serious film. I felt like I was the victim of a practical joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.