Sunday 23 April 2023

Pearl (5 Stars)


This is the 16th film in the Stuttgart Nights Festival.

"Pearl" hit the festival like a bomb. It's like nothing else at the festival this year. It's nothing like I expected. I thought it would be like the film "X", made by the same director, Ti West, which was shown at last year's Nights Festival. No. "Pearl" is a much more subtle film. There are violent scenes, eventually, but there's a slow build up. I wouldn't have minded if there hadn't been any violence, because the atmosphere in the first half of the film drew me in. I've seen Mia Goth in a few films already, but I never realised she's such a good actress.

I'll briefly describe the plot, although I don't think I can do the film justice. It has to be seen to be believed.

The film takes place in 1918. Pearl is married, but her husband is fighting in the First World War, and she's living on her parents' farm because her father is disabled and needs care. She hasn't heard from her husband for months.

Pearl wants to get away. She sees herself as an international film star, dancing on the big screen. 

And that's all I'm going to tell you. What's she doing with an axe in the film poster? If you watch the film, you'll find out.

After "Sisu", this was the second film in the festival which the audience applauded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.