Tuesday 25 April 2023

Marvel 1976.08 - Daredevil #136


Daredevil #136

Title: A Hanging for a Hero!

Writer: Marv Wolfman
Artist: John Buscema

Villain: Jester

Regulars: Foggy Nelson, Heather Glenn


We've jumped a bit since last issue. At the end of Daredevil #135 we saw the Jester capturing Daredevil as he was escaping prison. Now we're told that Daredevil has killed the Jester. There's no flashback to how it happened. He's just dead. I'm sorry, Marv, but this is bad storytelling.

The Jester's body is shown in the morgue. He's already been pronounced dead, but the district attorney has requested a second examination. His body bursts into flames.

Daredevil is back in prison. Or rather, he never left prison. We're told that what we saw happening in the last three pages of Daredevil #135 was a television news broadcast. Maybe there was a slight clue. In the final panel Foggy and Heather were watching everything on television, although it seemed real in the previous three pages. Again, this is poor storytelling.

Blake Tower now knows that everything is a fake. The events shown on television didn't happen, and the Jester isn't dead. He orders Daredevil's release from prison.

The Jester creates a new television broadcast: President Gerald Ford announces that the New York police have gone insane and are killing civilians. He says he's sending in troops to deal with the situation, but until they arrive he calls on New York's citizens to take up arms against the police. Super-heroes, especially Daredevil, are also classified as criminals. 

The Jester has assembled an army of crooks and is encouraging them to carry out mass robberies while the chaos ensues. They should give him 50% of their loot, of course.

Daredevil tries to stop a robbery, but the crowds turn against him. He's knocked out. The Jester arrives to arrange a hanging.

The best thing about this issue is John Buscema's artwork. I've been enjoying Bob Brown over the last few months, but John Buscema is special. It's difficult to describe my feelings about him. His artwork isn't spectacular, but he never makes a mistake. Whatever he draws perfectly expresses the intentions of the writer. A lot of artists like to show off their skills. Not John Buscema. He works for the writer, not for himself, and his artwork emphasises the story. I'm not sure if I've expressed myself clearly. I like to compare him with Steven Spielberg. If you look at my top films list, you'll see that he didn't direct any of my top 10 films, but what I can say about him is that he never makes a bad film. If I go to see a new Spielberg film in the cinema, I shan't be disappointed. John Buscema never disappoints me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.