Sunday 30 August 2020

Captain America: Civil War (5 Stars)


As most of my readers know, Chadwick Boseman died of cancer two days ago, aged 43. It was a shock to everyone, because he kept his illness secret for years. When I saw it reported on the BBC website yesterday morning, my first reaction was disbelief. I even suspected it of being a hoax. How can someone so young and (seemingly) so fit die so suddenly?

Since he's best known for his role as the Black Panther in four of the MCU films, I've decided to watch at least two of them to remember him, maybe all four. I haven't decided yet.

The Black Panther is a character who was first invented by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, appearing in Fantastic Four #52 in July 1966. He became a member of the Avengers in Avengers #52 (May 1968), while Roy Thomas was the regular writer, but it wasn't until September 1973 that he was presented as a true African super-hero. The unknown young writer Don McGregor started to write solo adventures of the Black Panther in Jungle Action #6 which took place in his homeland of Wakanda, not in America. Readers consider the 13-part Panther's Rage story (Jungle Action #6 to #18) to be one of the best stories ever published by Marvel.


Chadwick Boseman is the living representation of the Black Panther as we see him in the Panther's Rage story. He's strong, he's noble, but above all else he's African. This is most obvious in his solo film, "Black Panther", that I'll be watching tomorrow. "Civil War" is an outstanding action film, but "Black Panther" is an African film.

Chadwick Boseman
November 29, 1976 – August 28, 2020

Success Rate:  + 2.6

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

3 comments:

  1. I don't get out much lately, even digitally.

    Has anyone noted that he died on Jack Kirby's birthday? As if his legacy wasn't cemented tight enough to the Black Panther already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't realise that. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
    2. It seems astonishing to me that nobody seems to be talking about the Black Panther dying on the day of is creator's birth.
      They REALLY don't like talking about Jack Kirby in the media, do they?

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.