Monday 30 August 2021

Spider-Man (5 Stars)



I'm moving ever closer to the top place in the list of my favourite films. Many of my friends already know what my favourite film is, but I'll keep the rest of you in suspense.

In my opinion, this is the best film ever made based on Marvel heroes. Some people prefer the second Spider-Man film, but I don't understand why. It's a great film, I admit, but the first film is better. What I like about it is that it keeps so close to the original comics and the stories told by Stan Lee. There are a few minor changes, such as Peter Parker being older and his web being organic, but the film keeps very close to the spirit of the comics. The second film deviates more from the source material.


As I've said in my past reviews of this film, the casting choices are miraculous. The director Sam Raimi was meticulous in his choice of actors who looked as similar as possible to the comic book characters. Just look at J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. Who else could have played the part?


Elizabeth Banks looks remarkably like Betty Brant. Compare her with the awful casting of Angourie Rice in the MCU Spider-Man films. Where's Sam Raimi when we need him?


Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris as Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Perfect! Who had the silly idea of casting Marisa Tomei as Aunt May in the new films? Sam Raimi would never have made a mistake like that.


And Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson? I would never have considered her because of her blond hair, but with red dye she looks perfect. She also has the light-headed party girl attitude that we know from the comics.

I could continue by going through every character in the film, but it's late and I don't have the energy. I should put it on my to-do list for the next time I watch the film. It really is a film that I should watch more often.

Success Rate:  + 3.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.