Tuesday 8 February 2022

Rocketman (5 Stars)



Name: Elton John
Lived: 25 March 1947 – still alive
Film dates: 1955 to 1992
Film made in 2019

Today I'm suffering from writer's block. Maybe you can forgive me, because this is the fifth time I've watched "Rocketman" in three years. Just enjoy a few screenshots from this fantastic film.


Elton John leads his rehab group into the past.


Bernie Taupin is shown here in the late 1960's.


Here he is again in a scene from 1992. I praise the makeup team for making Jamie Bell look 20 years older. Bernie Taupin would have been a teenager in the first photo and in his forties in the second. In real life Jamie Bell was in the middle, aged 32 when he made the film.


I like this surreal scene where Elton John meets his younger self while attempting to kill himself. Most of the film is abstract, which is normal for musicals. Fans of Elton John have criticised the film for showing his songs out of order. For instance, we see him performing "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" as a teenager, although it wasn't written until ten years later. I don't see any problem with this. The songs have been put in the film to support the mood, not as chronological landmarks.

Okay, so I've written more in this review than I expected. Sometimes I'm like a man on the ledge of a building afraid to jump. All I need is a little push.

Success Rate:  + 2.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.