Monday 25 April 2022

Hospital Day 11


One of the few pleasant things about being in hospital is the daily visits from pretty young nurses. Their cheerful spirit makes the time go faster for suffering patients like me. But good looks aren't all that's important. A smile goes a long way. I noticed last week that there are nurses who smile and nurses who don't. Just look at Danguole, pictured above. Even with her Corona mask, it's obvious that she's smiling.

Last night was another bad night for sleep. I can't say exactly how long I slept. I fell asleep a few times and woke up again ten minutes later. I think I managed about 30 minutes sleep in the late morning. (For me "late" means before 6:30 am). My guess is that I slept about 60-90 minutes overall. So I'm not rested. Not at all.

My coughing was a bit worse this morning. I'm still sweating, which started yesterday. It's not continuous sweat, it comes and goes in phases.

Then the doctor came to visit me at 10 o'clock. It was the same doctor who normally visits me, but he brought with him the hospital's head doctor, Dr. Katja Rotfuß. I thought she'd have some good news for me, but it was a slap in the face. She said that my condition is getting worse, and she doesn't know why. The stronger antibiotics that I started taking on Thursday aren't working.

It seemed to me she was grasping at straws, looking for clues. She asked me if I've been to Africa or Asia. Have I been in contact with exotic animals? Have I been in contact with anyone who's been to Africa or Asia? She's just guessing. She said the hospital will carry out tests on me this week. The first sign is that I've been asked to give a urine sample for the first time this week.

Shortly after that I was given a Corona test. I was already tested when I was admitted last week, but as I said, the doctors are grasping at straws.

An hour later I was told that tomorrow I'll be given a bronchoscopy. I shan't try to describe what it is. Google it if you're interested. All I'll say is that on my consent form there are two pages of possible dangers. The dangers most applicable to me had been circled by the doctor. It's as if they're trying to talk me out of the examination. Don't worry. I signed.


This was today's lunch: mushroom ragout. The food here is very good, compared to other hospitals I've been in. Unfortunately, my appetite still isn't in order. After one slice of dumpling I wanted to give up. After some effort, I ate the ragout itself and just left the dumplings on my plate.

Before I forget, today I had a visit from someone called a Green Lady. I'd never heard of the Green Ladies before, but they're a nationwide charitable organisation created by the church. (She didn't say which one, but it doesn't matter). They visit people in hospital to talk to them, especially the patients who don't get any visitors. It's a good idea, and it was certainly a help for me in my miserable state today. She said that there are two divisions of the Green Ladies in Stuttgart; one visits on Mondays, the other on Wednesdays. This is the first time I've noticed anyone, but I'll be paying attention in future.

Now I'm off to bed. I'll let you know how the bronchoscopy goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.