Saturday 30 April 2022

Hospital Day 16


This is the view from the window of my room at the Schillerhöhe lung clinic. I'm not allowed to use the balcony, which is a shame

As expected, today has been a quiet day. My next tests aren't scheduled until Monday. I slept about four hours last night; 10:30 pm to 1:30 am and 5:30 am to 6:30 am. It was a mistake for me to go to bed so soon, but I was worn out and couldn't stay awake any longer. I woke up with a light cough and a sore throat. My eyes are feeling a lot better, though not yet perfect.

The meal supply isen't as efficient as in Robert-Bosch-Krankenhaus. I used to be given a bowl of semolina every morning, but today I was offered bread with cheese and jam. Sorry, I couldn't even touch it. At the moment the idea of putting bread in my mouth is too abhorrent for words. Cheese isn't much better. The best I could do was eat the jam with a spoon. Fortunately, the morning nurse could improvise. She brought me a bowl of soup. It was a cheap packet soup, and I couldn't even recognise the flavour, but it was good enough for me.


Dinner was better. They served a simple stew with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas and rice. I don't think the broth was flavoured, and the vegetables were cooked so soft that I could slice the carrots with my spoon. It's strange how my tastes have changed since I've been in hospital. A month ago I wouldn't have eaten something like this, but now it tastes wonderful. It's not that I've lost my sense of taste. Things taste the same, but I just don't like them any more. For instance, I was given a cup of coffee this morning, and I gave up after the first sip.

Now I'll relax and wait for the next 48 hours to pass. I'll try to get some sleep, whether it's at night or in the daytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.