Wednesday 27 March 2024

The Mummy [1999] (5 Stars)


This is a brilliant film on so many different levels. It's the best fantasy film I know, that matches the style of the fantasy films made in the 1960's.

The mummy himself, Imhotep, is a tragic character. Is he evil? He wasn't evil to begin with. He started out as a man in love. He loved Anck-su-namun, the wife of the pharaoh. This love was his downfall. It led to his death, and when he was revived 3000 years later he was obsessed with bringing his lover back to life. A man can be driven to extreme things for love.

One of my few quibbles with the film is that the picture quality isn't ideal. It's an old Blu-ray disc, and it shows. Imagine my surprise when I googled and found that there's a remastered 4K release that fans and critics have been raving about. Now where's my credit card?

Success Rate:  + 3.2

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.