Thursday, 30 July 2026

Who am I (3 Stars)


Today's the first time I've seen "Who Am I?", and I have to admit I was disappointed. This isn't really a Jackie Chan film; it's a spy thriller that just happens to star Jackie Chan.

The story is interesting enough. After a military operation in Africa goes disastrously wrong, Jackie survives but loses his memory. Unable to remember even his own name, he sets out to discover who he is while being hunted by the people who betrayed him. The plot is surprisingly similar to the Jason Bourne films, mixing amnesia with an international conspiracy.

The problem is that Jackie rarely gets to do what he does best. The film spends so much time on espionage, journalists and corporate villains that the martial arts seem almost like an afterthought. Whenever a fight breaks out, it feels as though it's been added to remind us we're watching a Jackie Chan film rather than because the story needed it.


That's not to say the action is poor. The final rooftop fight is excellent, and Jackie's famous slide down the side of the Rotterdam building remains one of the greatest stunts of his career. I only wish there had been more moments like these.

As a spy thriller, "Who Am I?" is perfectly enjoyable. As a Jackie Chan film, I wanted more. It's worth seeing once, but I don't think it'll ever become one of my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.