Please don't get this film confused with
"Thunderbolts", which I watched last week. "Thunderbolt" is a Hong Kong sports film
starring Jackie Chan, made in 1995.
It's one of Chan's strangest films because it sidelines the very thing that
made him famous. Instead of wall to wall martial arts, the film spends most of
its running time on high speed car racing, leaving fans waiting far too long
for the action they came to see.
Chan plays Chan Foh To, a gifted mechanic whose driving skills attract the
attention of both the police and an infamous street racer known as Cougar.
After helping the authorities catch a criminal, Foh To becomes the target of
Cougar's revenge. The ruthless racer kidnaps Foh To's sisters and forces him
into a series of increasingly dangerous races, knowing that defeat could cost
innocent lives.
The film builds towards a climactic race rather than a climactic fight. The
final showdown is an extended, high stakes motorsport spectacle featuring
exotic cars, spectacular crashes and dangerous stunts. The racing is
undeniably well executed, but it leaves martial arts fans short changed. Apart
from a handful of brief fights scattered throughout the film, Jackie Chan has
surprisingly little opportunity to showcase the acrobatic combat that made him
an international star.
Viewed purely as a racing thriller, "Thunderbolt" is entertaining and
technically accomplished. Viewed as a Jackie Chan film it's a disappointment.
The cars get far more screen time than Chan's fists, making it one of the
least satisfying entries in his Hong Kong career for fans of his trademark
action style.
That's three films in a row that I've watched which star Jackie Chan. I'm
taking a short break now. I already know what I'm going to watch next, because
the Blu-ray is already in my player. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to
find out what it is.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.