Monday 27 June 2011

Gia (4 Stars)


Yet another true story. That's three in a row I've watched. I must admit that I enjoy watching a film knowing that it's true. Truth is often stranger than fiction.

This is the story of the rise and fall of the American supermodel Gia Marie Carangi, in a career that only lasted nine years until she died at the age of 26. I admit that I had never heard of her before the film was recommended to me. I'm ignorant of the fashion world. Angelina Jolie's portrayal of Gia is poignant and moving, showing both the strengths and weaknesses of this remarkable woman.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this movie a lot more than most of angelina's other movies. She seems to resonate more with the Gia character than any of her other roles in my opinion so I think it was really well done with that gritty edge to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've been told this was Angelina Jolie's breakthrough role. On the basis of her performance in "Gia" she was picked to play Lara Croft a few years later. You might want to check out "Eight Miles High", even though it's in German.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.