Wednesday 23 October 2013

Baberellas (3½ Stars)


Like "Survivors Exposed" this film is about a reality show, but it's on a whole different level. The show is "Plunder That Planet", broadcast on the Galactic Erotic channel to billions of horny lifeforms throughout the universe. In each episode the sexual energy is drained from a planet, leading to the planet's destruction. In this episode the Earth has been chosen. To do this the planet's "nexus" has to be located and kidnapped. This is the one person on the planet with more sexual energy than anyone else, because this person has a sexual connection to everyone else on the planet.

The show's host, Queen Sartanika, identifies the energy of the nexus, but is unable to decide who it is because the possible subjects are too close together. They are the four girls in a rock band called Top Heavy. It's necessary to abduct the whole band to investigate further.

This is a fun film, and not just because Julie K. Smith appears as Top Heavy's lead singer. However, this is too ambitious a film to be made on a minimal budget. The cheap CGI effects distract from the otherwise good quality of the film. It's also a shame that the video quality of the film is so poor. Even though it's a relatively recent film, less than 10 years old, it looks as if the film has been transferred to DVD from a videotape. That's a problem with a lot of films I've been watching in my Julie K. Smith marathon, as you can tell from the poor quality screenshots I've been using.


I absolutely love the film's theme song, "Kiss my Galaxy" by Hydraulic Clown Head. I'll have to see if I can get it for my MP3 player.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one. The low budget CGI i dismissed by getting into the feel of watching a galactic cable channel with cheap bumpers. The '80s dayglow scenes tucked neatly into that, and earlier with the old pre-cable scrambled channels.

    Their reach may have greatly exceeded their grasp, but i enjoyed the outcome. Enough that it was one of two vids i used to put on in the background while doing my artwork back in the aughts. (The other being Alabama Jones And The Busty Crusade.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This film was part of a mini-marathon that I did, re-watching the films in my collection that starred Julie K. Smith. At that time she was active in Facebook, and I talked to her every day. Then she stopped. She announced a month in advance that she was leaving Facebook. The main reason was that it was taking up too much of her time replying to her fans. Another reason is that not all of the "fans" treated her with respect.

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.